How can I tell if I have a mold problem?
Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or
damp spot and begin growing.
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a
part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and
dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds
reproduce by means of tiny spores;
the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor
air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces
that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow
without water or moisture.
It is impossible to get rid of all
mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through
the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is
not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled
by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home,
you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean
up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, most likely, the mold problem
will come back.