does mold smell like?
Some compounds produced by molds have strong smells and are volatile and
quickly released into the air. These compounds are known as microbial volatile organic
compounds (mVOCs). Because mVOCs often have strong or unpleasant odors, they
can be the source of the "moldy odor" or musty smell frequently
associated with mold growth. A moldy odor suggests that mold is growing in the
building and should be investigated.
The health effects of inhaling mVOCs are largely unknown, although
exposure to mVOCs has been linked to symptoms such as headaches, nasal
irritation, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea. More research is
needed to determine whether there
are any human health effects from non-occupational indoor exposures to mVOCs.
The Key to Mold Control is Moisture
It is important to dry water damaged
areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. If mold is a problem
in your home, clean up the mold and get rid of the excess water or moisture.
Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water. Wash mold off hard surfaces with
detergent and water, and dry completely. Absorbent materials (such as ceiling
tiles & carpet) that become moldy may have to be replaced.