Should I use bleach to clean up mold?
· The key to mold control is moisture control.
· Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent
and water, and dry completely.
· Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems
as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
· Absorbent or porous materials, such as
ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become
moldy. Mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of
porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove
· Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces.
Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied
over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
· If you are unsure about how to clean an item,
or if the item is expensive or of sentimental value, you may wish to consult a
specialist. Specialists in furniture repair, restoration, painting, art
restoration and conservation, carpet and rug cleaning, water damage, and fire
or water restoration are commonly listed in phone books. Be sure to ask
for and check references. Look for specialists who are affiliated with